Last year I was part of a team that launched the first ever Beer Marketing Awards in the UK. The competition, and the event, was a great success, and the awards are now open for a second year.
There are two main ideas and ambitions behind the awards:
- Rightly, there are a great many awards for beer quality. That’s as it should be. But there’s no point making great beer if no one knows about it. With 1700 breweries now in the UK, it’s never been more important to make your beer stand out and let people know about it. At a time when some beer promotion is dodgy to say the least, we want to celebrate the best, and hopefully inspire the rest to do better.
- Marketing is seen by some as the preserve of big brewers, but everyone does it in some way. What you call your beer, what you put in the label or pump clip, how you tell pubs about it, what you say about it on social media, all of it counts. These awards are not just about big budgets: our ambition last year was to have the world’s biggest brewers competing with the UK’s smallest on a level playing field. In categories such as social media and packaging, they did, and the gongs went to the best ideas rather than the biggest budgets. There’s a category that suits any brewer of any size. We want this to be an event that could bring the whole industry together.
- BEST ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN – PRINT
- BEST ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN – BROADCAST
- BEST ONLINE COMMUNICATIONS
- BEST PUBLIC RELATIONS CAMPAIGN
- BEST BRANDING/DESIGN
- BEST USE OF COMPETITIONS
- BEST INTEGRATED CAMPAIGN
- BEST STUNT/GUERRILLA MARKETING
- BEST BUSINESS TO BUSINESS CAMPAIGN
- BEST INNOVATION
- BEST NEW LAUNCH
- BEST USE OF SPONSORSHIP
- BEST USE OF MERCHANDISE
- BEST EVENT
And two special awards at the discretion of the judges:
- OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT
- OVERALL WINNER: BEER MARKETER OF THE YEAR
- £60 (£50 + £10 VAT) for brewers under 5000 hectolitres
- £144 (120 + £24 VAT) for brewers between 5000 hectolitres and 60,000 hectolitres
- £180 (£150 + £30 VAT) for brewers over 60,000 hectolitres
Entries are now open. The deadline for submitting them is 22nd February 2016. The Awards ceremony takes place in Brick Lane on 14th April 2016.