I’m doing lots of events this summer – starting closer to home, then going further away. Some of them must be near you, surely…
For the eighth year, my wife Liz has organised the Stoke Newington Literary Festival, which happens this weekend, 2nd to 4th June. This year there’s a great line-up focusing on politics (there’s a lot of it about at the moment), comedy, music and food and drink, with lots more stuff about every subject you can think of, including a children’s programme featuring a Harry Potter birthday party and the chance to meet the actual Cat in the Hat, so there’s where I’ll be.
At least, that’s where I’ll be when I’m not doing my own events.
On Saturday afternoon at 4pm I’m chatting pubs with Kit Caless, author of the superb Spoon’s Carpets, which is far more than the novelty gift book it might initially appear to be. It’s a really great take on this love-em-or-hate-em institution.
We’ll be chatting all things pubs, including the Wetherspoons Paradox, and signing our books afterwards.Then at 6pm I’ll be kicking off an evening of beery fun at my It’s The Drink Talking Litfest event.
This is a loosely formatted beery chat show sometimes, and changes depending on what’s happening and who’s around. This year, the show is in two parts. In the first half, I’ll be talking to Henry Jeffries about his book Empire of Booze, which is about how Britain invented all the best alcoholic drinks, including the French ones.
Then, after the interval, I’ll be presenting my new book, Miracle Brew, which is published on 1st June. I’ll be talking hops, barley, yeast and water, with samples of beer and ingredients to savour.
I’m writing this on my way to make my Hay Festival debut with Miracle Brew tonight. If you’re in town, I’m also doing a signing at the fantastic Beer Revolution shop at 4pm.
Then I’m doing events around the UK, in Holland, South Africa, with some to be announced in the United States! Please do come along. All confirmed events so far detailed below.
- 30th May – The Hay Festival – Miracle Brew, 7pm
- 31st May – The Hay Festival – The Apple Orchard 11.30am
- 4th June – Stoke Newington Literary Festival – The Pub from Cask to Carpet, with Kit Caless, author of ‘Spoon’s Carpets’, 4pm
- 4th June – Stoke Newington Literary Festival – It’s the Drink Talking: Miracle Brew, plus special guest Henry Jeffries talking about his book Empire of Booze, 6pm
- 12th June – Spiritland, Kings Cross, London – ‘How Do You Write About Food?’ Panel Discussion and Miracle Brew signing
- 23rd-25th June – Carnivale Brettanomyces – Amsterdam – Miracle Brew
- 26th June – Chalke Valley History Festival – The Apple Orchard
- 29th June – City Books, Brighton – Miracle Brew
- 6th to 19th July – Beer Boot Camp, South Africa, Miracle Brew signing event
- 21st to 23rd July – Curious Arts Festival – The Apple Orchard
- 17th to 21st August – Green Man Festival – Beer and Music matching
- 31st August – 4th September – End of the Road Festival – Miracle Brew
- 7th to 10th Sept – Festival No 6 – Miracle Brew
- 16th-17th Sept – Abergavenny Food Festival
- 29th October – Off The Shelf, Sheffield – Miracle Brew